Monday, July 30, 2012

Parent Night Pointers!

It's here...Back to School time...the season of Open Houses...Meet the Teacher events...and Parent Night!  What exciting...occasionally unnerving...sessions of information overload for both parents and teachers!!


Hence the offering of a few points to ponder as you meet those who will be partnering with you over the next year of your precious one's life....

  • Be prompt for Parent Information events.  Usually the teacher has a planned agenda...lots of helpful info!
  • After the meeting, read the information.  Return forms expeditiously. 
  • Keep in mind that these meetings are typically meant for parents...and can stretch the limits of the behavior of little ones...which can distract you...and those around you.
  • "Divide and conquer" if you have more than one child attending the school.  Be considerate of others if you must slip in and out of classrooms.
  • Be appreciative, attentive...and patient.  The teacher has worked hard to prepare the classroom and orientation packet for you.
  • Be prepared to write down notable information regarding your child.  It is great to speak face to face, but very helpful if you document the information for her to refer to later...as she gets to know your child.
  • Be upfront and honest about any prior testing, therapies, and special needs of your child.  This information is very helpful to the teacher.  Again, please note in writing.
  • Present, in writing...and verbally, all vital allergy information.
  • Bring in a photograph of your whole family, inscribed with the names of parents and children.  This will help the teacher to associate parents with students, as well as to recognize siblings.  Again, be patient.  You have one or two teachers to get to know.  She has multiple students and families.
  • Keep in mind that you may set a conference time for a later date to focus on your child...after the pace has slowed...and she can remember which child is yours.  :)
  • Be positive...encouraging...and patient.
  • Be excited!!  It's going to be a great year!!!  
  

4 comments:

Cross Moms said...

YES! Kristi, I couldn't have said it better myself! A teacher after my own heart! Thank you for such wonderful insights, and, of course, for sharing on Show and Tell!
Love and God Bless,
Christy

Kristi Butler said...

Thank you, Christy, for stopping by!!
Love and blessings to you too!

Unknown said...

Christy - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I have a soon to be Kindergartener with special needs and I am beside myself with anxiety over the first face to face with his teacher. I knew I wanted to share with her a bit about him, and set up weekly email updates and I was wondering if I should write a letter to her about my child. Now I know that it was my intuition telling me to go ahead and do it.

Kristi Butler said...

Genevieve, I'm so thankful that this encouraged you!! Yes, teachers definitely want to know your child's needs and to do their best to meet them. Writing it all down for them to read (apart from the chaos of parent night) is so helpful. I pray that it will be a wonderful year for your child...and for you! Blessings!